Startrite 352 - Converting 3 phase to Single phase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been offered a 352 which I'm currently looking for. The price is reasonable, in good condition. But it's 3 phase! My workshop basically has two seperate 13 amp circuits available to use.. and I'm not sure what the deal is with replacing the motor to a single phase equivalent? Or even running a 3 phase machine from a 13amp supply?

Is it even possible to run a 3 phase machine when I only have 13amps available?

If not, is replacing the motor to a single phase as easy as it sounds?

Thanks
Sean

Webby":3hh40dx4 said:
I would be interested in this answer as well .....like is it cost effective

Equivalent spec motors seem to be around £100. But I have no idea if they'll be the right casing size/shaft size and if its difficult to re-wire them or if they're wired up in the same way and it's just a case of copying the existing connections?

Two basic options, but first you need to determine if the three phase motor is dual 240/440 voltage or just 440v
Quick check on rating plate or motor connection box, (3 or 6 terminals if dual)

1. Buy a static inverter of adequate rating and correct voltage output to convert 1Ph to 3Ph. (£90-£150) or so.

2. Change out motor for 240 volt single phase.
  • Probably need to fit one of 1-1/2 times the power rating to get equivalent performance of the 3 ph unit.
    Expect to have difficulty finding one of a compatible frame size and more importantly the same shaft diameter to suit existing pulleys.
    Fit new starter switch assembly to suit single phase supply.

There's a link to a very good detailed overview in PDF form of what's involved in the Metal Work section Useful Utilities & Reference information

Latest posts

Back