Budget grinder tool rest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb94

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve got the Axminster AW1502WSG bench grinder (the one with the single thickness coarse and double thickness fine grit).

The thinner tool rest I scrapped as soon as I bought it and fitted a veritas tool rest and it’s pretty good at squaring and putting a new bevel on tools.

The bigger wheel still has the rubbish factory tool rest which has fixed angles and vibrates like mad being attached to the wheel housing.

I’m wanting to use the finer wheel for touching up turning tools but am on a limited budget.

Can anyone recommend a decent tool rest suitable for the 40mm larger wheel that can accommodate skews, gouges etc.

I’ve seen some for sale similar to the veritas and also some sliding box section types with fixed height

Thanks

I made one similar to this a few years ago after using the wooden setup as above which worked fine for many years too. It appears on various how-to YouTube sites and by coincidence, I used my cheap Aldi stick welder (£60).

Latest posts

Back