Record Power DMS26 drill stand advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
http://www.screwfix.com/p/record-power- ... tand/95019 Has anyone any experience of this bit of kit? It seems to be discontinued although its cheaper brother is still widely available. I'm interested because it has 360 degree rotation. I've been scouring ebay for a manual drill press and not had a lot of luck. Its got 2 really good reviews on screwfix which still advertises the product but no longer sells. (sigh) I found one on ebay but a 5 hour round journey seemed a little excessive. Im negotiating with a fella in Cardiff who has one in clean order for sale in the hope he'll courier it. I found one site that sells new but with postage they want £128. More than Im willing to pay atm.
Anyone used one, got any advice? I'm hoping it fills that slot between proper pillar drill and the seeming void of good manual drill guides on the market.
I need the flexibility to put it wherever I need and drill a fairly accurate 90' hole so it looks like a good solution till I'm more confident in my skills. I can't afford to mess up what I'm working on at the moment.
Many thanks!
regards
Chris

I've got one of these, and it is sometimes useful when drilling holes in the middle of a sheet, but bear in mind that if the drill head and drill are turned too far away from the base, balance is affected and it tends to tip over. The plunge mechanism is a spring-loaded lever which tends to exacerbate this. Positioning it accurately and then preventing it from tipping over with clamps can be quite time consuming and it is usually easier to use a V-block as others have suggested.
Since it takes drills intended for hand-held use, torque is MUCH less than a proper pillar or bench drill and this is particularly bad when using electronic control to run a larger drill at slower speeds - a proper drill is much better. I'm in Northampton if you want to see a DMS26 in the flesh.

Duncan

Thank you Duncan, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer. The more I hear the more I'm inclined to practice with a brace until I can do it blind by hand. Might be time to stop looking for a magic solution and learn how to do it properly so to speak. The metaphorical leap. I might just post off a hardwood blank to my mate with a pillar drill and get him to produce a guide. Just in case you understand. *whistles

Thanks again.

could you make some templates, and use a router and guide bush? This would enable you to work in the middle of sheets etc.

I got an erbauer router a couple of years ago from a bunch of mates as a club together birthday present. I think I might be hard to buy for. :D I haven't had need to use it yet but I did wonder about that and dug it out the shed at the weekend to take a look. Was wondering if I could make guide holes by sorting a simple mdf or similar jig then finishing with a brace. The issue I have is that the two things I really want to be working on are a (shhhh whisper it... a roubo type bench I just would really like to make one, let's end it there and I've already started cutting the timber down to size so please don't bash me up anyone! :D ), and after that an oak porch from 5" timber. So both need fairly deep mortices and the bench will need accurate dogs bored too, and both need to be done right because of costs attached to the timber make mistakes a no no.
I saw the V soultion and like the ingenuity . I'm also wondering as mentioned about just posting a bit of hardwood and getting a mate of mine to pillar drill in a variety of size holes as a guide. This seems more foolproof to my thinking. Once the auger takes at the right angle Im guessing I can just remove the guide and using care and not leaning on it with my shoulder, continue on the right track.

Perhaps Im trying to run before I can walk. But then again. 'Who Dares Wins Rodders, Who Dares Wins'. When I had to replace the mains water stopcock and all the kitchen plumbing and add bits and pieces when I recently 'upgraded' a failing system at my newish house. I probably should have called a plumber. Instead, I went on youtube then went out bought a Rothenberger brazing torch and some bits and pieces. Spent an hour or 2 in the garden gettting my plumbing kung fu up to scratch and practicing soldering joints. Reinstalled all of it. Nervy moments as i turned the mains back on but in the end. Jobs a good un! Probably would have been cheaper to call a plumber but next time I have problems or when we do the loft extension next year. I can do it myself and just get a plumber in to test the system.

Eternal optimist lol. I haven't killed anyone yet.
Gas and leccy I dont touch. because then I might kill someone. Plastering I dont touch because I don't want to feel drunk in my own home without the benefit of alcohol.

Back