Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just registered on the forum so I thought I would introduce myself. I live near Blairgowrie in Perthshire and have been doing woodwork for a few years although I would call it joinery not cabinet work as it has mainly been construction projects, the last being a studio for my wife to work in that was built from the ground up using my own design (which turned out really well). What I really want to get into is furniture making and my first project is going to be making the new kitchen for the cottage, it will be freestanding so I am having to try and persuade the wife that investing in some more machinery will mean the kitchen will cost as much as a bought one but I will have some nice new shiny toys afterwards! Don't have the budget for real top end stuff but equally I never like to buy the cheapest so this forum will be great for advice and tips. My love before all this was VW's but sold them all now as have a bairn due in October, however if anyone has car questions maybe I can repay for the woodwork advice.

Thanks

Gregg :D

Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure we will be able to help you spend money on equipment and support your new kitchen project.

Having new stuff is all very nice but there are some bargains to be had with used solid cast iron engineering as well if you have the room to house it.

Good Luck

Bob

Hi Gregg,
Welcome to the forum, it is a good place to hang out.
Fire away with any questions, there is usually someone willing to pass on some advice.

Malc :D

Welcome to the forum fyall,
I would certainly be looking at used equipment, many a small company has gone in the present climate, and are selling off their gear.

John. B

other than ebay where would you guys recommend looking? I have a fairly big workshop around 23 square metres.

fyall":2e186tly said:
other than ebay where would you guys recommend looking? I have a fairly big workshop around 23 square metres.
Lots of gear is regularly sold here on the forum. If you're quick of the mark you may even be able to get hold of Wizer's new table saw in a couple of months when he gets bored with it :lol: :lol: - Rob...already moving :lol:

Biggest problem is getting timber closeby, though good company in Falkirk with good prices for native hardwoods :wink:

Bloonose":2nsmkmvp said:
Biggest problem is getting timber closeby, though good company in Falkirk with good prices for native hardwoods :wink:

I am only about 15 miles from Jean Burhouse in Dunkeld.

Hi and welcome!

You are driving a good deal with your wife. You give up the VWs, she get a new kitchen and you have some toys to keep you quiet and out from under her feet. How can she refuse? :wink:

I'm also a ex motors, Land Rovers, Scammells and AEC Matadors. Now contemplating scratch building an electric trike.

00020121.gif

Richard

Welcome on board - good to see another address north of the Central Belt. If you feel like travelling, there are some more quite useful timber suppliers up beyond the Granite City.

Hi Gregg ...

A relative of the Ardler Fyall's by any chance ?

I'm originally Alyth, MiL still in Meigle, so know your locale very well :D

Burhouse are good.. especially for the turning supplies & blanks ... they're good on the exotics.

Have fun Bud.. :D :D :D :D :D

Well, good lord, almost a Neighbour at one time ! :wink: :D

I grew up at Glenree ( Top of Wylies Brae / Strathmore Terrace ), and later lived in Airlie Street, down at Jordanstone and laterally Springbank ( the 'beirut of perthshire' ) before coming up to Aberdeenshire in 94.

My sis is still in Hay Street, and my best pal is in New Alyth to this day. :D

I don't get down as often as I should... definately more effort required there !
:D :D :D
Good to see you here 8) :D

Back