Helping at a repair cafe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have volunteered to help at a new Repair Cafe being set up in The Gades Shopping centre in Bromley this Saturday May 18th.

Do any of you have any experience of helping at a Repair Cafe?
I'm trying to work out what tools materials and equipment to take.
I thought the organiser was going to give me helpful insights about that they expected to happen. However he isn’t even going to be there. And didn’t have clue what equipment they might already have, though he knew they had some!
I have a large pull along toolbox. It’s already full and jolly heavy. I’m sure most of what I've packed won’t be used and what would be most useful I will have left sitting on my bench.
The trouble with repairing stuff is it isn’t like making something, when we can list the tasks and then the tools and materials we need. It’s always a case of digging around looking for odds and ends then adapting them to do a completely new job. Not knowing what sort of items people are likely to bring for repair makes it hard to plan.
I'm a reasonably competent retired D&T teacher ( I stared out as a Woodwork Teacher) and over 40 years taught most aspects of the subject (though only simple electronics.)
Any ideas, suggestions and advice about tools equipment and especialy materials you think would be most useful would be very welcome.
(Its probably the case of what not to take and leave behind)
Any experiences of working at a similar project would also be helpful.

I’m really looking forward to getting out and meeting people. I spend far too long pottering around here on my own.
Thanks
Martin

This is from the Repair Cafe Foundation:

In the place where a Repair Café is located, you’ll find tools and materials to help you make any repairs you need. On clothes, furniture, electrical appliances, bicycles, crockery, appliances, toys, et cetera. You’ll also find expert volunteers, with repair skills in all kinds of fields.​

This suggests you'll encounter hardly any wooden items of size, but quite a lot of general household items. I'd want a selection of glues, some different tapes, a few clamps or handscrews for holding stuff to work on, screwdrivers and spanners, wiring and soldering kit, and a Stanley knife. I'd leave my pipe wrench and welding kit at home.

But this is just guesswork :) With luck someone who actually knows might come along. If not, tell us after your first visit.

I have volunteered to help at a new Repair Cafe being set up in The Gades Shopping centre in Bromley this Saturday May 18th.

I thought the organiser was going to give me helpful insights about that they expected to happen. However he isn’t even going to be there. And didn’t have clue what equipment they might already have, though he knew they had some!
I have a large pull along toolbox. It’s already full and jolly heavy. I’m sure most of what I've packed won’t be used and what would be most useful I will have left sitting on my bench.
The trouble with repairing stuff is it isn’t like making something, when we can list the tasks and then the tools and materials we need. It’s always a case of digging around looking for odds and ends then adapting them to do a completely new job. Not knowing what sort of items people are likely to bring for repair makes it hard to plan.
I'm a reasonably competent retired D&T teacher ( I stared out as a Woodwork Teacher) and over 40 years taught most aspects of the subject (though only simple electronics.)
Any ideas, suggestions and advice about tools equipment and especialy materials you think would be most useful would be very welcome.

I’m really looking forward to getting out and meeting people. I spend far too long pottering around here on my own.
Thanks
Martin
@Cooper
Good on ya
Fred

No direct experience but a friend has done a few stints - lots of mangled screws where people have tried with the wrong bit - so a good set of screwdrivers, screw extractors if you have them, and the roses tin of helpful screws collected in every self respecting she’d come in handy.
Multimeter, Soldering iron and solder good for dry joints
Lots of glue, clamps and tape to hold odd shaped pieces whilst glue dried

A way of measuring up for things you can’t fix there and then but if they come back in a week you’ll have something to help

Good luck

I wondered about woodwork in our local repair cafe but couldn't see how to make it work, without bench etc.
However I did run a short freehand sharpening afternoon a couple of years ago. I was asked to do it as a fund raiser for Alzheimers with everybody chipping in a tenner and getting a free cup of tea and biscuits. Seemed to go down well, everybody chattering away and we went to the pub afterwards.
Could do it with just a carrrier bag of kit - 2 or 3 stones, a piece of leather for a strop, oil, oily rags, all you need. Could also talk about repairs even if not actually doing them.
I might have another go some time.
PS could also take a pair of saw horses and demonstrate mortice chisel (sitting astride the workpiece) and fast rip sawing, both a bit problematic for beginners. :unsure:

Last edited:
I think I’d take a basic set of tools as mentioned pliers , screwdrivers , small socket set
The soldering iron and multimeter mentioned above is a good call , tbh I no experience in repair cafes but as ghe organiser can’t be bothered to be there to introduce you to the members then just treat it as “ see what’s reqd visit .. 🤔🤔

Two choices; either:

1: Do as Blister advises: take nothing, treat it as a reconnaisance trip, or:

2: Decide beforehand what you're going to offer [sharpening, bikes, textiles and sewing, electrics, electronics, woodwork & furniture, china/glass/porcelain, clocks, leatherwork, bookbinding etc.]; take tools you know and trust for that.

I've volunteered at my local Repair Caff for a few years.
There are several different 'repair stations' ranging from jewellery, clothing to electrical and mechanical. The woodworking station is one of the quieter ones. Chair leg repairs, general gluing and pinning of assorted wooden things

Have you been allocated a station? My Caff runs like a military operation and nothing is left to doubt! It can be chaos otherwise.
You'll get used to what tools need to be taken along and our Caff has provided a load of useful 'stuff' over the years and it's brought along each month.
We often have potential volunteers who come to observe alongside seasoned operators, but your Caff may not be established long enough to accommodate that. Talk to the organiser and see what he suggests. IMHO Repair Caffs need a very strong organiser to make it happen. Our organiser does no repairing at all: he's a logistics and admin hero.
Being involved is very rewarding and great fun to be around like minded people.

Last edited:
Can you give me more details of the cafe (please). I live in Bromley ( a nascent Croydon if the council has its way...) It's something I'd be of a mind to get involved in...

Can you give me more details of the cafe (please). I live in Bromley ( a nascent Croydon if the council has its way...) It's something I'd be of a mind to get involved in...
It’s located on the upper floor of Glades, unit 268. it’s called The Hub . Its closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, though the repair cafe is an occaisional event at the moment. It shares space with a Library of Things. I haven't seen any of the kit, though I was told its all of good quality. I'm not sure what the difference is with a hire shop?
[email protected] www.greenerandcleaner.co.uk
I think the Repair Cafe is a new idea the first session was on Easter Saturday, I was unable to attend.

May I suggest, if you have time, that you come along on Saturday. It begins at 10:30
Cheers
Martin

Thanks
Martin
It sounds like the one you're looking at is ideal: a bit disorganised and chaotic. Because repairing IS chaotic:

• You don't know which customers will turn up, with what
– and when: it can start with a rush, then tail off; or there can be a complete blank for the first half-hour
• They don't know what has gone wrong. They often can't even remember; it broke down so long ago
• You don't know what each repairer can do [most have a range of skills, sprawling across different types of work]
• Many repairs involve more than one skill. So it may need to be passed on to someone else, or worked on as a team

So what gets repaired is a matter of goodwill, and of fangling together the resources [humans, tools] to first do the diagnosis, then carry out the repair.

Avoid Repair Cafés like the one mentioned by furnace – run like a military operation. Leave that to the Army.

More generally, avoid ANY Repair Café run by an "organiser" who doesn't actually do repairs.

It sounds like the one you're looking at is ideal: a bit disorganised and chaotic. Because repairing IS chaotic:

• You don't know which customers will turn up, with what
– and when: it can start with a rush, then tail off; or there can be a complete blank for the first half-hour
• They don't know what has gone wrong. They often can't even remember; it broke down so long ago
• You don't know what each repairer can do [most have a range of skills, sprawling across different types of work]
• Many repairs involve more than one skill. So it may need to be passed on to someone else, or worked on as a team

So what gets repaired is a matter of goodwill, and of fangling together the resources [humans, tools] to first do the diagnosis, then carry out the repair.

Avoid Repair Cafés like the one mentioned by furnace – run like a military operation. Leave that to the Army.

More generally, avoid ANY Repair Café run by an "organiser" who doesn't actually do repairs.
Thank you, that is most encouraging. I went to the venue yesterday and have a better idea of what to take, thanks to the comments above and the equipment they have in the library of Things.
I’ll post tomorrow how it goes.

I volunteer at our local Repair Cafe for the mechanical / Electrical station. I use my own tools, tool many to list here and most have been mentioned above. The Cafe purchased some security screw bit kits, some long reach bits including star and hex fasteners. They also purchased a heat gun, crimp connectors, heat shrink, etc. One big but necessary piece of equipment they bought was a PAT tester. Good idea, and our insurance required it. Regarding wood repairs. I'm also on the committee for the local Men's Shed. We work together in that if the Repair Cafe has a wood item that need more than a few screws tightened, they refer the the owner to the Shed. Likewise if someone turns up at the Shed with an appliance, we refer them to the Repair Cafe. Seems work and both of us get the donations.

At the risk of being called a humbug. These arrangements completely devalue any skill used in there execution. The principal is great but the reality is the skills your using to fix said item are immediately assimilated as valueless by the general public. It's basically the final expression of these skills(in a commercial sense)

I volunteer at our local Repair Cafe for the mechanical / Electrical station. I use my own tools, tool many to list here and most have been mentioned above. The Cafe purchased some security screw bit kits, some long reach bits including star and hex fasteners. They also purchased a heat gun, crimp connectors, heat shrink, etc. One big but necessary piece of equipment they bought was a PAT tester. Good idea, and our insurance required it. Regarding wood repairs. I'm also on the committee for the local Men's Shed. We work together in that if the Repair Cafe has a wood item that need more than a few screws tightened, they refer the the owner to the Shed. Likewise if someone turns up at the Shed with an appliance, we refer them to the Repair Cafe. Seems work and both of us get the donations.
Thank you, it’s really good to know how these organisations work and the sorts of things it’s reasonable to suggest they provide. All ready I’ve been asked what they need and I’ve not yet been to a session.

Like charity shops inflating rent in High streets things have unforeseen consequences. And putting them under a charity banner doesn't change the outcome.
Why not set up a mechanic cafe next to a little garage for instance.

I suspect most of the stuff that comes the way of repair cafes and mens sheds comes from people who don't have endless funds for repair work or else isn't economically repairable. I doubt much of it would affect professional trades/craftsmen. If a few minutes of a competent person's time saves something from landfill that's fine by me.

Back