Best and Worst buys in the last 12 months

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dickm":152fbc5z said:
I seem to have less time and space to use it all!

Dick

I've just had a complete overhaul of my workshop and now have a lot more space.......

Cheers

Tim

It gets worse, my amateur shop is 16'x84'.

I do think that someone with a passion for organization would make a better go of it. :(

PeterPan":29hti0ee said:
It gets worse, my amateur shop is 16'x84'.

I do think that someone with a passion for organization would make a better go of it. :(

WOW - over 40% bigger than Norm's (and that's bigger than most peoples houses... :shock: )

Andrew

My SIP planer/thicknesser complete with chip extractor was the best buy for most use and good price.

Our friend Waka gave me a good deal including delivery (not from Nigeria though :) )

Best service was Record tools/Yandles. at least Record did send an engineer along.

Screwfix invoiced me goods that were not delivered (out of stock) had to chase them for a credit.

Perhaps NMA, Scheppach, might contact me one day. Never replied to email service call and we still have a disagreement.

Devon,

Forget emailing them - you need to ring them and ask for Alan in technical.

Adam

Best purchases this year

The Flex (PC) 2 peak router - fantastic machine both as a stand alone and in a table.

Tormek 10" supergrind - haven't had any hair on my right arm since I bought it!

Worst purchase this year.

Ice cream maker - Like I needed another hobby!

sorry kev i cant resist :D :lol: :lol:

just one corneto give it to me :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

frank

Best buys
Festool TS55, expensive but not regretted for an instant.
Fein Multimaster, ok cheating slightly as I've had mine almost two years now.
Jessem Rout R Lift, Mast R Top and Mast R Fence router table system.

Bad buys
Ryobi RT6000 router table. Awkward to use, badly made, generally not a pleasure to use unlike the Jessem kit that replaced it.

Toby

Best buys;

Sjobergs 2200 bench
Leigh FMT
Kreg pocket jig
No 71 router plane..for £20

L-N dowel plate; dowels in any wood, made in seconds. I know they aren't always perfect but for pegging joints it's just the job.

Worst buy

A record block plane, the sole has cracked

Keith

Keith":1rqhvgr3 said:
L-N dowel plate; dowels in any wood, made in seconds. I know they aren't always perfect but for pegging joints it's just the job.

Have you got a knack with this? How close to finish size is the timber when you put it in the plate? I have had real probs getting anything good out of it and would love to learn if there are tricks to it.

Thanks

Tim

tim":1d4v29n2 said:
Keith":1d4v29n2 said:

Have you got a knack with this? How close to finish size is the timber when you put it in the plate? I have had real probs getting anything good out of it and would love to learn if there are tricks to it.

Thanks

Tim

Ooh, had exactly the same problem last night - I'm making an oak box "super quick" (i.e. two evenings), and decided to screw the sides, and cover the holes with dowel plugs. I carefully drilled the holes to 10mm, having checked the screwhead would go through, wacked some 11mm square rods of walnut through the 10mm hole - only to find they were loose :shock: Anyway, the solution I came up with (very heath-robinson I'm afraid), was with the glue still wet, I trimmed the plugs to about 1mm proud of the surface, and then took a hammer to them - it caused them to splay just slightly - and I'm hoping they'll make a better fit. Also, that the PVA may cause them to swell slightly.

I'd be interested in a more professional solution as well.

PS: Another best purchase - Forstner bits

Hi Tim,

Is this David Charlesworth article on the LN dowel plate of any help?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":bvm81f3g said:
Hi Tim, Is this David Charlesworth article on the LN dowel plate of any help? Cheers, Neil

Excellent - I very very nearly made a 45 degree jig to hold it, whilst I planed off the excess - perhaps next time I'll reduce the diameter to much close fit before hammering through.

Adam

Adam
For short plugs to cover holes I can recommend the Veritas Plug Cutters. They are slightly tapered, so they snug up nicely as you tap them in.

For longer lengths of dowel I use a block of wood, a cordless drill and a router table, like this. (You may need to view it with IE rather than Firefox). I keep meaning to get a set of bushes made, so I only need one jig for several different sizes.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":n55zssiz said:
For short plugs to cover holes I can recommend the Veritas Plug Cutters. They are slightly tapered, so they snug up nicely as you tap them in.
Seconded; been using them for years and worth every penny.

I think it's important not confuse dowels and pegs with dowelling. Dowels and pegs seldom have to be perfect anyway; it's all about the long grain structure giving strength. Plugs are a different matter again. For what it claims to do, the L-N plate is actually very effective. Pricey, but effective.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":okfmnfav said:
Steve Maskery":okfmnfav said:
Seconded; been using them for years and worth every penny.

I think it's important not confuse dowels and pegs with dowelling. Dowels and pegs seldom have to be perfect anyway; it's all about the long grain structure giving strength. Plugs are a different matter again. For what it claims to do, the L-N plate is actually very effective. Pricey, but effective.

Cheers, Alf

OK, anyone know where I can buy a 10mm tapered one from ASAP? I don't want to buy a set as its unlikely they'll get much use.

Adam

Alf":2ybxc478 said:
Yep - here. :)

Cheers, Alf

I searched axminster - and that didn't come up when I put plug cutter into search?

Doh!. I did try - I promise!

Adam

Best buys:
LV Planes esp. LA Jack. Canada's finest touch the spot!

Adria saws. One word - 'Wow!"

AI bevel edge chisel set - gorgeous handles, superb to use, m'mmm, nice.

Worst buy: Sadly, very sadly, I have to admit...the AI chisel set. Ferrules keep splitting, and now returned to the factory for a second time.

The first time apparently due to excessivly hard brass - a dodgy batch from the ferrule manufacturer. Barry has got his thinking cap on this time. May rty annealing the brass. Failing that I've asked for steel ferrules. He's also going to mull on the optimum moisture content of the handles for future production.

My workshop is rarely heated and isn't excessively damp e.g. my planes barely rust, my saws - mint. Tools in leather roll, in steel cupboard, in dry workshop, h'mmm, IMO quality tools should cope without having to be kept in the warm or pampered with a dehumidifier.

Ike

Back