Is a full size guide rail worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have festool tracks and found joining rails annoying, and inconsistent and as I didn't buy my 1400 tracks at the same time there is a minor variance in the profiles. just invested in a 3 metre makita track and what a joy not faffing about and knowing I get a straight cut. I don't notice any deflection in the length. The only down side is having to adjust the saw sliders as the makita is slightly different. The price difference more than makes up for the minor inconvenience. I use it workshop only and it is a beast to swing about. Elsons £155

Hi

I’m debating whether I should invest in a full size rail meaning 2.6m or 3m

I will be making a bunch of cabinets soon and will need to rip long lengths of MRMDF for door rails and stiles

I like the idea of just putting one rail on and not worrying if it’s straight

BUT!

I’ve heard that you still get some deflection in the track because it’s so long, which defeats the purpose. I might as well join two 1.4m tracks and have less hassle storing them.

I’m either going to get a Makita 3m rail or a Dewalt.
I have a dewalt track saw and park side, so I’m thinking the makita one is more versatile with different saws. What do people think?
Don’t know your facilities or set up Sammy, but if space is limited and large sheets are too big to handle successfully on the table saw, it’s better to take the tool to the work. I made a dismantlable frame that rests on a couple of workmates outside and use a tracksaw and 2.7m rail. It’s brilliant and the cut is better than my table saw with its expensive blade, just because there is no deviation which I tend to get with large pieces on the table saw. I steered clear of joining rails, as it introduces the possibility for error.
Alex

Thanks all
So, this is what I’ve decided:

I woodwork at home, I don’t need to transport it but I am limited for space inside. I can just about manage a full sheet indoors. It’s true, turning the rail will be a logistical acrobatic feat, probably navigating it to the stairs to get 3m of height!

I have around 20sheets to break down. The Makita rail is £130 delivered, so I think the cost is justified. I can store it on top of my kitchen cupboards in a box (I will need to make!)

I will have to use my cheaper parkside saw on the rail, because the makita rail has a lip. I will probably attempt to remove the lip with a router and jig so I can use my dewalt saw, but I’m in no rush to do that to be honest, and mess up a new purchase

Edit: it was £147 delivered (Elson tools). Apparently the free delivery over £75 doesn't apply to bulky items
Now I just wait and hope it comes undamaged! What's the point of a guide rail if it isn't perfect :)

Last edited:
Had my 3m Festool rail a good few years, just checked the price and they have gone up a bit, sure it was less than £200 when I bought it.

I can still picture all those years ago the delivery driver walking down my drive with this long box on his shoulder which was drooping down at the ends 🙄

The rail was in a cardboard box which had a tile lath down each side, it must have had some rough treatment as the laths were both broken and the rail had a big kink in the middle. I phoned the supplier and they had a replacement to me next morning, I was hoping they would let me keep the bent one but unfortunately they wanted it back.

I use 1000mm Stabila level to line up two 1400mm rails. I also have the rails drilled and countersunk so I can screw the rails down - I did this because I had some heavy structural timber to rip and the accuracy was more important than the screw holes it left.
Did you buy the Evolution ST2800 rails?

Update;
Rail arrived in good condition within 24hours of order. The box it came in is good enough to keep. Just need to add a handle and some hinges

Back