Wild Service boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sangy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have some Wild Service boards which I milled from a wind blown tree, Wild service is a fairly rare native tree in the UK, but the timber is sort after on the continent for furniture making, my question is, does anyone have any idea how much it might fetch and where would the best place to sell some? I intend to keep most for my own project but will probably sell a few boards.

Well that was a new one on me! So I looked it up, nice, more like a fruit wood and quite expensive! Saw one selling for twice that of Yew.
If you put wild service timber into Google there are a few yards selling it, they may be interested- or not! And probably will need to put a large mark up on it.
You might sell it on here for more?
Ian

I believe this is also called Swiss Pear. You will find a lot more information under this name. It is used for musical instruments and things like the backs of hair brushes. It is very similar to Pear hence its alternative name.

I believe this is also called Swiss Pear. You will find a lot more information under this name. It is used for musical instruments and things like the backs of hair brushes. It is very similar to Pear hence its alternative name.
Apparently not.
The woods look very similar but Wild Service is a "sorbus" while Swiss Pear belongs to the pear family.
It was new to me too but my wife is familiar with it.

An excellent write up to be found here :
https://rowanswhitebeamsandservicetrees.blogspot.com/2010/11/wood-of-wild-service-tree-sorbus.html

I think this is the same as cormier (French), which was/is much used for the best quality wood tool handles/plane bodies etc

I think this is the same as cormier (French), which was/is much used for the best quality wood tool handles/plane bodies etc
other woods used for tools - fruitier (pear etc), chene (oak), ash (frene) and beech (hetre) in rough order of cost - looks like I'm trying to show off, but just been reading an old French tool cata, so let me off -- also use box as UK but not so common and some form of holm oak?

Apparently not.
The woods look very similar but Wild Service is a "sorbus" while Swiss Pear belongs to the pear family.
It was new to me too but my wife is familiar with it.

An excellent write up to be found here :
https://rowanswhitebeamsandservicetrees.blogspot.com/2010/11/wood-of-wild-service-tree-sorbus.html
Ah yes, you are correct and it is a "Sorbus", but suppliers seem to have been playing fast and loose with their terminology. I purchased what was called "Elsebeere" from a German supplier of tone wood, a year ago This was sold under the name of "Swiss Pear", though it is from the Wild Service Tree.
Timberline in their catalogue also mention that " Swiss Pear" veneers are often made from "Sorbus"

Well that was a new one on me! So I looked it up, nice, more like a fruit wood and quite expensive! Saw one selling for twice that of Yew.
If you put wild service timber into Google there are a few yards selling it, they may be interested- or not! And probably will need to put a large mark up on it.
You might sell it on here for more?
Ian
Thanks Ian, it is lovely wood, I recently made a desk for my daughter and used some for the drawer front, I didn't realise I could try and sell on here so may well try that once I measured them up👍😁

Scott

Brilliant information, thank you 👍

Latest posts

Back