TV advice requested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always bought Toshiba TV's. I acquired a 22" Samsung Flatscreen that we use in the bedroom. It's ok, but the sound is diabolical. I'm seriously considering one of those surround sound speaker bars.

That's another thing you need to consider Chris. Surround sound. I'm not a fan personally, but if you want the full experience...

Hi Chris, good luck with your search for a new TV. I found the whole process quite exhausting 18 months ago. There is far too much technology involved and of course each manufacturer has a different name for all its gizmos and if you wait 3 months there will be a new, must have feature, that improves an already brilliant picture.

I also believe what was said on thread a week or so back that the best of the old CRT tubes actually gave better pictures then the flat screens of today be it Plasma or LCD. On our full HD LCD TV I struggle to see the difference between HD and non HD programmes. The biggest difference seems to be the sound. But this could be either my eyes, screen size or viewing distance.

I think you will get used to the landscape nature of the Tv very quickly. We went from a 14" portable (CRT) to a 32" LCD and to start with I was horrified at what seemed to be an enormous screen, but we have soon got used to it and wondered how we managed to put up with the portable for so long.
Obviously room size and viewing distance with affect how the box sits in it surroundings.

FWIW we bought a Phillips which I could not find a bad review for but never came top of the "best" lists, dominated by Sony and Panasonic.

Cheers

Andy

Oh, as for quality fiction on TV, Ashes to Ashes. I am not sure I understand the underlying story, as I forgot how the last series ended, but I find it very entertaining if only for the one liners.

Good point about CRT... It's what we went for (Ebay) after failing to find good picture/value for money from flat screens. That was, however, a couple of years back and things have moved forward since then. Nevertheless, I'm still not ready to trade my CRT for the current offerings.

More food for thought!

CRT is definitely out - my eyes and ears ain't what they used to be, so can't tell the difference and I have no desire for the return of valves in amplifiers nor CRTs in displays of any kind - ditto LPs and ration cards..

John Lewis sounds like the next destination in this search - I like the shop, the assistants usually know their stuff and are pleasant.

digitaldirect.co.uk

good place to buy online... tho you will need to see screens in the flesh to see what your eyes suit...
yup that sounded right but some people prefer LCD over Plasma and vice versa.... no one can tell you which is better as its all to do with your eyes, what your watching, what sort of enviroment you are watching in etc...

as a general rule (which i tell to people) plasma (i think) is a more natural picture, lcd brighter and sometimes sharper colours etc.
but its all personal pref...
when looking tho take along some of your fav dvd's or blurays to put on screen. you know how they look now so how do they look on new tv.
and check setting of colours and contrast and put them at normal levels.

I posted a thread a few months ago about a similar topic and ended up going for a (very) large Panasonic plasma screen which we've been very impressed with, no regrets at all.

Cheers, Paul :D

Ultimately the differences between the better models of both plasma and LCD are so negligable as to be completely irrelevant to the average person. If you are a magazine reviewer then you will pick up on some of the subtle differences but to be honest for everyday TV viewing the source picture is what dictates what you see rather than the quality of your screen.

I am sure that there are AV'philes on here who will disagree with me, but in their own world they are as geeky and territorial as we woodies are about the way in which we do things.

I have a 42" panasonic Vieira plasma which is 4 years old and a 50" Samsung LCD which is 12 months old and next to each other, with the same source, the picture is nigh on identical. The Panny deal slightly better with high speed action as the LCD can 'ghost' ever so slightly, but until I pointed it out to the missus she hadn't even noticed it, so it's definitely not worth worrying about IMO.

As Tom said, if you are looking for HD then the sound is equally if not more important than the picture. You really need to consider what you want from it and if you are looking for the full HD experience then you really need look at the following:

- TV
- HD box (SKY HD etc)
- BluRay player
- AV Amp/Receiver
- External speakers

Now there are myriad ways in which you can do the surround sound piece but it can be done relatively cheaply and to good effect with all in one systems, or you can go all out and spend a couple of grand. Again, it all depends what you want to get out of it.

Just to clarify, I don't work in this field and am no expert, but it is a personal passion and I have spent a lot of time over the years setting up my own and friends systems so if you want the benefit of my years of tinkering (I won't say skills, that would be over selling myself ;)) then I am happy to have a chat if you want my number.

HTH

Back