Startrite - Tilt Arbor Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a Startrite - Tilt Arbor Circular Saw and if so what do you think about them and second hand value in your opinion i know for one for sale at £650 quite local to me but expect it to go for a lot more than that any advice appreciated
Mock

Not bad saws, would expect to pay £400-500 for the basic saw, maybe £50 more if it had the extension bars wit it. For £650 I would want the extension bars and the sliding table, and wouldn't be looking to pay much more.
cheers.

Thank's for the head's up :roll: the description
Startrite - Tilt Arbor Circular Saw.

Sliding table.
120mm cut depth
Tilt Facility
Blade Rise and fall
Motor changed to single phase a few years ago from 3 phase.

This machine is of some age, however it is an excellent saw.
Any inspection/trial welcome, you will not be disappointed

The saw should have 5 extension rails, 4 to extend the RH fence rails and one to extend the sliding table rail. There should also be a table clip in insert for the RH rails.

The sliding table should have two adjustable stops,

Remove the belts, with the power off grab hold of the blade and give it a good pull push to check the bearings and spindle are OK.

The fence was originally set up to have a run out to prevent the wood being trapped as you rip. The fence is not adjustable and the setting was created when the table top was doweled to the base.

The machine originally came with two legs for the RH rails, and if your putting it up against a wall arnt really necessary. If it's in the middle of the shop you will need something.

Check that the hole in the spindle which is accessed through the table top is sill present, it's used to release the blade nut. They can be broken off by the odd ape user.

I have the saw and love it. Cuts up to 4" (100mm) the standard motor is a little under powered if it's cutting this thickness if your doing a pack of timber, but for a workshop it's fine.

Dust extraction is poor, and you must have all of the panels (RH side under the rails is often missing) if it's to work at all. As an accessory Startrite did a clip on dust extraction hood that went along the slot.

The saw originally was delivered with a very nice mitre fence that had a two part rod stop.

Easy to strip down and rebuild on your own as nothing is too heavy.

The only 'consumer' bit in the saw I've found are the bearings on the sliding table that get mangled if you drop the table on the wrong part of the rail. They are bog standard bearings and cost about a £1 each, and take a couple of minutes to change.

Back