Help please - blind needed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAW911

Established Member
Reaction score
The attached photo shows a recently added skylight on a friend’s roof. It lights down into his office but on sunny days makes it too hot! Does anyone have a suggestion for an external way of shuttering it which is controllable from below please? It measure 3m x 1.2m. It needs to be external to prevent the heat from entering the room. All suggestions welcome please.

Attachments

• IMG_6845.jpeg
    IMG_6845.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I guess it depends how much they want to spend. Remote controlled external shutters etc are going to be expensive to buy and install as they would need electric.

If you are handy with a saw and some screws you could make a very simple frame and louvres. Just work out which way the mid-day sun is and align them to prevent direct sun through the glass. It will still allow reflected light through so shouldn't need to be opened or closed etc it can just sit there.

You can get various films to cut down on the light. We have just had UV protection added to our windows to stop things fading. But the range was huge and included all kinds of tinta and properties.

It needs to be external to prevent the heat from entering the room.
I am not 100% convinced by that. It would be true if the blind were a blackout curtain. However, if an internal blind were reflective like a mirror, wouldn't the sunlight that did get in (or at least most of it) be reflected straight out again?

Think I’d be trying to keep it simple at first anyway- so + 2 for the blackout blind. I think unless it also incorporates the uv protection also mentioned above then some heat will possibly get through..

Too late now; but you might have specified Pilkington's "K" glass, which allows light, but reduces heat transmission

I fitted a roof light which had a blue tint to it. It stopped all the heat on a summer day but let in the light. It was very strange to walk from a window where you could feel the heat of the sun, to then walk under the roof light and not feel any heat at all. The room was south facing so got all the days sun. But was the same temperature as the other rooms.
The blue tint made it look like it was a lovely blue sky even when it was overcast.

I have a 1.2m square velux in the roof section of my office which gets all the afternoon sun. It has a roller blind with a white back which is translucent and lets a deal of light through when drawn but reflects 90% of the heat.
It can be a bit of a fiddle drawing and clipping it with a hooked stick but for a wholly overhead blinds rail versions are available.

Velux make Battery powered blinds, closers and anything else to do with windows our automatic closing Velux (if it rains) is Sola powered and was retro fitted last year, maybe an idea to look on their site.

I have a 1.2m square velux in the roof section of my office which gets all the afternoon sun. It has a roller blind with a white back which is translucent and lets a deal of light through when drawn but reflects 90% of the heat.
It can be a bit of a fiddle drawing and clipping it with a hooked stick but for a wholly overhead blinds rail versions are available.
Do you have a link to this blind please, we have two blackout blinds on our velux which work brilliantly for cutting out the heat from the sun but also make the kitchen rather dark

I'm sorry, no. It was fitted when we moved in, and has a rectangular section wooden lower slat than hooks into purpose machined stops at various positions down the inside of the tilting frame.
It appears to be a Velux fitting.

One can buy exterior mechanised louvers, which might suit in this particular instance. Having a blind under the roof light means that it will be subject to a lot of heat and bright sunlight . Not all blinds will be up to this sort of exposure. The ones that were fitted in our south facing conservatory when we moved in, certainly weren't.. The trapped heat also seemed to have compromised the plastic glazing, .some of which which, had turned brown, though with glass this wouldn't be a problem.

Blinds inside glass might help a bit, but the infrared end of the spectrum isn't reflected back through the glass as effectively as visible light so heat does get in/ stay in. Some blinds have coatings, but it's best to have exterior protection or coatings if you can.

How about birdseed? Then you get pigeons. Then you get poop. Natural sun blind. Washes off with heavy rain in winter. 🙂

Thank you everyone. Some great suggestions which I have passed on to my friend.

Back