Can anyone recommend a decent make of stepped drill bit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinpeer

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a cheap step drill fail to do the job so bought one from UK Drills (bought through Amazon), who I've seen mentioned on here before, thinking it would be better quality but it's worse. I'm trying to drill some holes in 1mm steel to mount some speaker connectors. It drilled the first 2mm hole but after that it refused to go any further, just pushed the metal down without cutting. I'm using a pedestal drill with cutting fluid but no joy at all.

I have HSS drill bits up to 14mm but would have to buy several more individual bits to work up to a 24mm hole I expect and figured an HSS step bit would be much easier and more useful in the future.

Are there any good known brands out there or should I just get a blacksmiths 24mm bit and use that from 14mm straight to 24mm.

Thanks.

IMG_4582.jpeg
IMG_4583.jpeg
IMG_4584.jpeg

From your picture, it is only the first (smallest) step on the drill that has ceased to cut.

Use one of your existing standard drill bits to enlarge the hole to maybe 6mm dia. and try the step drill again.

I bought the Erbauer ones from Screwfix and they have earned their keep.

By the time you get to 24mm with that setup, you will drill through the bottom of your vice.

From your picture, it is only the first (smallest) step on the drill that has ceased to cut.

Use one of your existing standard drill bits to enlarge the hole to maybe 6mm dia. and try the step drill again.

I bought the Erbauer ones from Screwfix and they have earned their keep.

By the time you get to 24mm with that setup, you will drill through the bottom of your vice.I drilled a few other holes with other drill bits and tried it from there and it did the same thing, just seems to be hopelessly blunt all the way through.

That drill vice has nt base below the centre so there's room to go all the way to the board and 24mm is less than that. I'll take a look at the Erbauer ones, thanks.

ok the editing failed on that one. Reply should read,

I drilled a few other holes with other drill bits and tried it from there and it did the same thing, just seems to be hopelessly blunt all the way through.

That drill vice has nt base below the centre so there's room to go all the way to the board and 24mm is less than that. I'll take a look at the Erbauer ones, thanks.

I'm trying to drill some holes in 1mm steel
You can drill small holes in sheet metal but once you get to larger sizes then it is not good practice as the drill just snags. Why not use a holesaw like

1714663594988.png

You will need to buy an arbour but really the best way to cut holes in sheet metal unless you invest in a set of punches.

https://uktoolsupply.com/Starrett-F...MI0qP2sqPvhQMVuplQBh0szgHTEAQYASABEgJgz_D_BwE

these look like

1714663754856.png

from https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Sheet-Metal-Punches/Sheet-Metal-Punch-24mm-325086-p

I have a set of hole saws but the sizes jump from 22 to 25mm and 25 is too big and I was trying to save myself from having to file all the holes out from 22mm. Maybe I'm just using the wrong tool for this job but was surprised a stepped bit wouldn't work reasonably in something thin like 1mm steel.

I'd not seen the metal punches before, that looks idea, thank youl.

For what it's worth, I would use a different cutter altogether.
I have a couple of large step drills like yours, bought overseas so the brand is irrelevant. I keep them for punching holes in plastic electrical boxes only, that means they will always stay sharp.

For drilling steel or aluminium, I'd use a holesaw - either a Starrett TCT one or a HSS ground tooth style. Both of those cut cleanly.

24mm TCT will cost you (well) under £20 on ebay and last for years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261795817140

I don't rate and don't generally buy Starrett these days, but in this instance I think they are doing the job for me and sourcing these holesaws from a reliable Chinese factory. I have several and consider them good value for money. In particular I drilled a row of four holes through 3mm stainless plate with a 22mm one and it survived the task even though stainless work hardens and it's essential to keep the pressure on and push through these holes.

I have a set of hole saws but the sizes jump from 22 to 25mm and 25 is too big and I was trying to save myself from having to file all the holes out from 22mm. Maybe I'm just using the wrong tool for this job but was surprised a stepped bit wouldn't work reasonably in something thin like 1mm steel.

I'd not seen the metal punches before, that looks idea, thank youl.
With what you already have, why not 22mm holesaw, then one step on the step drill. Cutting a lot less metal that way anyway.

You can drill small holes in sheet metal but once you get to larger sizes then it is not good practice as the drill just snags.

That is true for a standard twist drill bit that has a continuous and steep helix angle.

It is not the case for a step drill. Good step drills do work well on sheet metal and do not corkscrew themselves into the material.

I have never yet found a holesaw that cuts its advertised diameter. They are a piece of hacksaw blade wrapped into a circle with the joint brazed. They are never round. Try one on a painted piece of material and measure the kerf width once all the paint is scratched off. It will be about three times the kerf width of the holesaw itself due to run out.

As above, Armeg are also good quality, and a step (!) up from the Erbauer ones.

That is true for a standard twist drill bit that has a continuous and steep helix angle.

It is not the case for a step drill. Good step drills do work well on sheet metal and do not corkscrew themselves into the material.

I have never yet found a holesaw that cuts its advertised diameter. They are a piece of hacksaw blade wrapped into a circle with the joint brazed. They are never round. Try one on a painted piece of material and measure the kerf width once all the paint is scratched off. It will be about three times the kerf width of the holesaw itself due to run out.

As above, Armeg are also good quality, and a step (!) up from the Erbauer ones.

Very true. The step drill is my preference for drilling sheet metal.
They do not snag, and they leave a very neat hole - also with a
nice little chamfer, if you're careful. And no burs. (y) (y)

RS components step drills are normally good quality you do not need a credit card.
4-12mm and then 10mm to 30mm think.
It’s all about speed and cutting fluid don’t let the step cutter get to hot! We use for stainless steel no problem although we have hydraulic splitter punches if doing lots of holes
If you need any more information or me to find them on RS let me know. Step cutters are not that accurate and you do not get as clean round hole

Thank you all for such helpful replies, I really appreciate the advice. I’ve ordered the TCT cutter from Amazon simply for speed and will let you know how I get on with it in a few days.

These carbide drills are much better. We used to use them at work for cutting into stainless steel pipe which is difficult with hole saws.
Those look good and are quite cheap too!
I have used Starret both their cheaper bi-metal and tct-tipped hole drills and found them to be very good, albeit a tad more expensive than those Amazon ones.
Last time I used them in anger I was cutting solid stainless 22mm dia rod so as to create neat 'cup' shaped ends for butt joints on a kitchen overhead pot-hanger. Obviously workholding was difficult whilst trying not to marr the surface and a pillar drill must, however the set-up worked well after fine-tuning the optimal cutting speed etc

I second a hole punch as the best way to cut holes in sheet metal but it can get expensive if you need several different sized holes as each punch only cuts one hole size. To get round this I have a couple of Conecut drill bits. These are a continuous cone rather than stepped and can be used to open out holes to any size (up to the max diameter) and are not limited to fixed steps. Downside is the hole sides are slightly tapered but this is barely noticeable in thin sheet.

Back