Which CNC Router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of questions for anyone, who’s reading….

Does anybody know of a good UK CNC Builders forum or Facebook group, where I might be able to get some general advice if I’m going to build one of these?

Has anybody tried buying from eBay and importing from Germany? The supplier swears blind that VAT is included. I don’t believe them.

Cheers
Steve

A couple of questions for anyone, who’s reading….

Does anybody know of a good UK CNC Builders forum or Facebook group, where I might be able to get some general advice if I’m going to build one of these?

Has anybody tried buying from eBay and importing from Germany? The supplier swears blind that VAT is included. I don’t believe them.

Cheers
Steve
Mycnc.uk or cnczone. Both have excellent build threads and years of knowledge on them. If you can think of a question it has probably been asked and answered already.
Also they have for sale sections where serious bargains can lurk.

Beware the time sink of following some amazing build all the way through and then feeling in awe of some peoples skills and ability to get stuff done, at least that's how I feel sometimes.

I have bought cnc parts from Sorotec (not on ebay ) in Germany and they did sort out the vat and duty ( i didn't pay duty as low value part) .
Actually I think DHL do that bit As part of the postage service.

Ollie

Ps. I would not get one of those all in one controllers. Get an AXBB with uccnc, from CNCdrive.com a cheap HB04 pendant and run it of any old pc. It won't cost much and is a proven method.

I have a spindle like that, not sure it's good for slower speed metal cutting, amazing for wood though.

Last edited:
Sainsmart ProverXL 4030 v2 has closed loop motors. I think I'd go for closed loop where possible.

I think that you are on the right trail, except for the spindle, I recommend that you i'vest in an atc (automatic tool change) spindle, it's a game changer and a tool height setter. It means that you need compressed air as well, but that means you can use fog lubrication instead. I have a boxford mill which I've put the expert version of the controller that you show which has proved extraordinarily difficult to program, so much so that I bought the boxford software (£900) for the lathe which is a brilliant bit of kit.
I've also rebuilt a 3000x2000 router with a Cs labs csmio-ip controller and their SimCNC software which is pretty good (works with mach3/mach4) , I replaced the 7kw water cooled spindle with a second hand HSD 9kw atc spindle which I haven't finished the tool holder rack for yet so am using as a manual ATC which is a step change from the previous manual change. I had a great deal of trouble with emi in the control panel and ended up ripping all the wiring out and rebuilding using best practice shielded wiring and twisted pairs, some of those shielded as well, it's amazing the skills we aquire!
I've bought a few things from ratmotor who seem like a good company. The majority of stuff though I've bought on Ali express for the planned items and Amazon because when you need those m3x60 cap heads, you need them now!
Keep going

I think that you are on the right trail, except for the spindle, I recommend that you i'vest in an atc (automatic tool change) spindle, it's a game changer and a tool height setter. It means that you need compressed air as well, but that means you can use fog lubrication instead. I have a boxford mill which I've put the expert version of the controller that you show which has proved extraordinarily difficult to program, so much so that I bought the boxford software (£900) for the lathe which is a brilliant bit of kit.
I've also rebuilt a 3000x2000 router with a Cs labs csmio-ip controller and their SimCNC software which is pretty good (works with mach3/mach4) , I replaced the 7kw water cooled spindle with a second hand HSD 9kw atc spindle which I haven't finished the tool holder rack for yet so am using as a manual ATC which is a step change from the previous manual change. I had a great deal of trouble with emi in the control panel and ended up ripping all the wiring out and rebuilding using best practice shielded wiring and twisted pairs, some of those shielded as well, it's amazing the skills we aquire!
I've bought a few things from ratmotor who seem like a good company. The majority of stuff though I've bought on Ali express for the planned items and Amazon because when you need those m3x60 cap heads, you need them now!
Keep going
Amazon is the go to place for reliable fast delivery, I agree. I’ve spent a fortune on their courier service on this project.

There’s a basic EMI filter in my case, and much of the wiring has been done using shielded cables. I hope it’ll be ok. I’ve read about emi issues with Cnc and it seems difficult to believe, but I suppose I am going to find out!

Interesting that you found the DDCS hard to program. I am just reading up about it. What did you have difficulty with?

I am sure the spindle will be the challenge. We will see how it goes. If you have a recommendation for a atc spindle, that would be great .

Back