RP Sabre 250; anyone have one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm wanting to buy a new benchtop bandsaw, I cannot physically go any bigger than a 10" benchtop model due to space constraints. Anyone have the Sabre 250 ? If so how do you rate it; any issues or niggles ? Also was seriously considering the Axminster professional AP1854B but it's way too heavy at 60 Kg. I will need to pick up the bandsaw regularly to create space. So yeah almost sold on the Sabre but is there anything else of similar dimensions worth a look ?
Thank

I’ve got one, never had any issues with it. I can’t comment on its power as I’ve only used 6tpi blades on it and the thickest pieces I’ve cut on it have been 50mm (oak) which it did easily. I usually use the big bandsaw at work for cutting bigger pieces.
I’d imagine the sabre would be ok for thicker stuff, a while ago I had the regular 250 and, using a tuff saws 3tpi, it would cut 4” hardwood but it was slow. I think the sabre has a slightly beefier motor.

I got the rp wheel stand (lever pedal type) I’d recommend it. Even though it’s a small, it’s still pretty heavy (especially if you’ll be moving it a lot)

I can take some photos of the machine if there’s anything specific you’d like to see.

I have it - I do occasionally move it from the workbench to sit on a B&D Workmate outside if doing lots of work with it.
Used it recently to go through wood from a felled tree and as long as it fitted within the capacity of the throat it handled the wood...
I use it with Tuffsaw blades, but for its size it is superb - a good blade on it and it cuts beautifully and straight... - super bit of kit - would only ever replace it if I had space to upgrade to a larger one...

@akirk Glad to hear this, I’m interested in picking up one and was a bit worried with the performance of the original BS250 after viewing a YouTube review where the bloke was struggling to rip cut a 2x4… but looks like the beefier motor has got it covered.

Working with this size do you wish you had gone for the next model up at all? I’m in a similar position with a small workshop so looking at 10” bandsaws

Had the Sabre 250 delivered last week and pleased with it. Ripped some 4" oak for a box and gets through no problem atall with Tuffsaw 1/2" blade. I have removed the bearing safety guards" on mine as they make it difficult to see the business end. This is my first new bandsaw so cannot compre it to anything else but I'm pleased with it.

@akirk Glad to hear this, I’m interested in picking up one and was a bit worried with the performance of the original BS250 after viewing a YouTube review where the bloke was struggling to rip cut a 2x4… but looks like the beefier motor has got it covered.

Working with this size do you wish you had gone for the next model up at all? I’m in a similar position with a small workshop so looking at 10” bandsaws
yes, of course I would love to have the next size up, friends have the 350 and it is superb but having it in the workshop would mean losing something else useful such as the drum sander / mitre saw etc… so it is a compromise, but most of what I do doesn’t need any bigger

Back