bandsaw 3mm blade question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi thougth id post this before i go to work !!

i have got a axminster base model bandsaw which for the money performs very well i want to use a 3mm bandsaw blade as 6mm not tight enough radius for my rocking horse pieces

is it possible to adapt the guides ?

ive read on plces that you can use 3mm on machines but you need to alter blade guides

in what way ??

if not possible what machine would allow me to do that ?? i just need advice on what it means to alter your blade guides

thanks guys

mark

Hi Mac
What sort of guides does it have at the mo?
The problem with small blades is that you have to support the body without damaging the teeth. So metal guides are out. You can fit Cool Blocks, make wooden guides or face bearing-type ones with a softer material (I use MDF backing board).
If you can post a pic I'll probably have a solution for you.

The only practical way I know is to replace the rear guide with a block with suitable slot in it to accomodate the blade backing and remove the side guides completely.

What sort of radius are you wishing to cut? I personally can't envision anything on a standard size Rocking Horse that would require a tighter radius than that obtainable with a 6mm blade, just been out and cut this.
DSCN3629 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3629 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3629 (Large).JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 273
not sure i quite follow you chas i can see the marker pen circle are you saying you cut a 20mm tight circle with a 6mm blade ? if you have i love to know your secret !! the 6mm blade i have has a radius minimum cut of i think 3/4 inch which gives me a diamteter of about 1 and half inch ( thats accoriding to the tuff saw blurb and it just a bit bigger than the end of my rockers if i go any tighter the blade starts jamming and rubbing as the radius is too tight , unless you can enlighten my path in any way i would be very keen to hear how you do it

thanks mark

That's not a marker pen that's the cut.
DSCN3630 (Large).JPG
DSCN3634 (Large).JPG
DSCN3635 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3630 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3630 (Large).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN3634 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3634 (Large).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN3635 (Large).JPG
    DSCN3635 (Large).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 226
mac1012":rdst23c1 said:
.... are you saying you cut a 20mm tight circle with a 6mm blade ? ....
The actual hole is 17mm, a lot depends upon the kerf of the blade and the clearance it provides, I always prefer blades with maximum set and ask for blades biased this way when communicating with Ian.

It's the same blade as being used here so it shows quality of blade manufacture in set and sharpness plays a very big part in quality of finish and cut stability.

Steve Maskery":22y06d75 said:
Hi Mac
What sort of guides does it have at the mo?
The problem with small blades is that you have to support the body without damaging the teeth. So metal guides are out.
Not quite true. I have a set of metal guide rollers specifically designed for the job.

For sure if you can't get the purpose built guides then metal isn't such a good choice.

Steve Maskery":p75zfrux said:
OK, perhaps I should have said NORMAL metal guides are out.

I totally agree with that
Steve Maskery":p75zfrux said:
I think my point was clear.
S
Not quite, which is why I posted.

However thes are what I was talking about. I got these with the blade about 40 years ago. At the time they were a standard accessory. They do "support the body without damaging the teeth"

P3293779.jpg

P3293780.jpg

They are metal but of course not the kind of solid guide blocks here.
P1070639.jpg

And I agree with your guidance for this kind of guide as I said.

However as you can see there is an alternative system that is designed for the job.

I have no idea if guides like these are available for current bandsaws, but if you have a friendly metal worker who has a mini lathe they would not seem too hard to copy.

FWIW I also got a belt sanding accessory. Though again I don't know if these are still made for bandsaws.

P3293784.jpg

P3293786.jpg

Back