Shed/Garden store WIP - Comp entry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWatters

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently submitted a planning application to get this project underway. Planning officer is making a site visit on Tuesday so wish me luck.

It's an oak framed, tiled roof shed/garden store. Left hand side will house all my mowers and other garden machinery and the right hand will be a potting shed for my wife's use.

ver20cq4.jpg

Hopefully it will look a bit like this one I found on the web..

gardenrooms007ur1.jpg

Just heard back from the planning officer. Basically it looks like they are happy provided I agree a few changes mainly to the roof..

The eaves line of the structure should be lowered by 300mm to reduce the roof ridge and impact of the structure on the character of the area; or reduce the eaves but leave the ridge in the same place which would increase the pitch. In combination with the use of pantiles this is a good option.

I'd proposed plain clay tiles to match the house which we only built recently but for some reason they want me to use pantiles on the shed.

what is the over all size and position relative the the main highway ?

do you need planning consent ?

Yeah,i'd like to know that too as it's the only reason why i could see you needing planning.Proximity to highway or house.

Having watched Grand Designs they had a similar one on that, the guy was ordered to use this type of thatch on his roof, but instead went off and got another type and put that on, because it was all paid for and done planning decided not to say anything about it.

skipdiver":e1t82tjx said:
Yeah,i'd like to know that too as it's the only reason why i could see you needing planning.Proximity to highway or house.

Could also be Article 1(5) land - national park, conservation area, AONB, the Broads - or a listed building. In both cases the permitted development rights for ancillary buildings are restricted to <10m3.

Yes it's in a conservation area and more than 10 cubic meters. Base is 4m9 x 4m9 including overhang. I'm a bit of a mug to apply for PP as nobody else in the village bothered. One house has about 4 hidden away in the garden and many others are of dubious quality. All built without PP and all made it the four years without challenge. I applied because ours will be visible from a footpath.

Oh yeah,conservation.Never thought of that one.Proably cos there aint nowt worth conserving round here and never came across it in my time as a joiner/bulder.

Heard today that the plannng officer is broadly happy with the design so hopefuly we should get our PP soon. They have also agreed plain clay tiles will be ok.

Colin

Did they make you alter the roof height or have you got it through as the initial overall design.

Dennis

Yes they made me drop the roof height at the eaves but that's not a big problem. The roof pitch was a bit low anyway.

Got planning permission today... subject to conditions! Before I can start work they want to see drawings showing horizontal and vertical cross sections through the windows!

It's just a shed!! The whole village is full of sheds and I bet none of them even bothered to get planning permission let alone supply cross sections through the windows! What do they think I'm going to do fit uPVC or something :)

Hired a digger over the weekend and laid the hardcore and formwork for the base. Three cubic meters of concrete arrive tomorrow..

img1569800ny9.jpg

PS: It may look crooked but the post and rail fence isn't at 90 degrees to the boarded fence so it couldn't be square to both. Also I probably should have made the hardcore area a bit larger than the slab.

Have decided to enter the project in the competition. Have put it in the Intermediate class but I've not done anything on this scale before. My wood working tools are pretty much limited to a sliding miter saw (bought for this project), a DIY grade power drill and a router table from Aldi. Currently haven't a clue how I'm going to make the windows. There is also a good chance it won't really be finished by October.

Latest posts

Back