Boxford Union PD8 Overhaul/Re-build/Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel_boxford

Reaction score
Bought a nice example, but it was noisy as hell, so knew it needed bearings all round. And it hadn’t been greased since the 80s judging the smell and colour of the grease.
Most of the disassembly was simple, two things tripped me up, removing the high low gear (the shaft that resides in the oilite bearings and has the large funny material gear), and the top spindle gear.
Couldn’t find a thread on a forum that explained these foibles, so maybe this will help someone?
1st pic is off the saw dust accumulated in the switch housing, yuk. Also the divider(?) plate.
IMG_7676.jpeg

2nd pic is the machine, stripped partially.
IMG_7684.jpeg

3rd pic is the grease removed from the gear area, accessed from the top, under the plate,
33ecfa64-8685-4065-8257-a38617a254d6.jpeg

4th pic is the high low gear shaft, there’s two grub screws, and at the bottom is two ball bearings that retain the gear shaft to the carrier shaft.
IMG_7679.jpeg

5th pic is what really stumped me, as the spindle dropped out, and left the upper drive gear in place. Basically, it’s a circlip that holds it, well covered in 50 odd year old grease. I used the outside of a small pair of flat jawed pliers to get it off, as circlip pliers are near useless (I considered trimming the handles of a large set). Once this is done, it’s plain sailing.
IMG_7681.jpeg

6th pic is all the internals, cleaned and inspected.
IMG_7689.jpeg

Next is the motor, 400v, 3 phase, 0.5hp affair. I’ll hopefully get some better pics of that. Wondering if it can be re-wired to 240v, 3 phase, as I don’t want to buy a motor, just a VFD. There’ll be a posts of a few other things as well.
Any questions, I’ll try and answer them! I’ll have some of my own for sure.

Latest posts

Back